Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Juggling Act



I read this in a book and loved it so much I wanted to share it...

"Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called work, family, health, friends, and integrity. And you're keeping all of them in the air. But one day you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls—family, health friends, integrity— are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered. And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginnings of balance in your life.”

Sometimes it is so hard to juggle everything that life throws at you. I want to express to my Chet how proud I am of how he does it. He has a lot of responsibilities at work, so many people depend on him which flows down to so many families depend on him. I have the opportunity to work with him two days out of the week. I get to watch his juggling act and I am in awe. When he walks through our door at night, he is home. I am sure there are moments when all of the weight of work tries to follow him home, possibly even bouncing down the road after him not wanting him to leave. But for the most part that ball stays outside our door. I just want him to know how much I appreciate that. I also want him to know that it doesn't go unrecognized. And even though others may look at it as a flaw or a weakness, I believe it is incredibly strong and tells so much about the kind of person he is. Thank you Chet. I love you so much.

3 comments:

Mardie said...

That is a truly remarkable talent. It is harder for some than others. Thank you for the thought!

Charmaine Anderson said...

I think Chet is lucky to have you...someone who gives him credit and praise...in writing even. We don't do that often enough in our relationships.

Jodi Gutierrez said...

I love that quote! I know we have depended on chet in the past for our mortgage needs and I noticed then that he does leave his work at the door so he can come home to you. I felt bad as I would call him at home to ask him some question about our loan etc. And I praise him for being able to leave work at work and come home to his family as most important role he plays... Husband and Father. You are so good to recognize that and give him credit.