Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Just 2 Minutes"


“Just two minutes mom, please. That is so short, just please mom.” He said as he looked at me with those big droopy eyes with so much pleading in them I couldn’t help myself.

“Ah, OK!” I said with defeat yet again as he pulled out his last weapon that I am utterly defenseless against… those eyes and that sweet determined look all wrapped up in innocence.

How does he do it, that Randon—all 35 lbs of him? That 20 year-old boy crammed packed into that miniature 4 year-old body. Looking so cute in his camo undershirt he has refused to take off for the past two days; his yellow t-shirt looking so stylish over the top. And his gray 4T corduroy pants that I spent 15 minutes trying to convince him weren’t church pants, just to get him to wear them this Tuesday morning.

How does he do it? How does he know exactly how to move his body in that hunched over way that makes him look so helpless when I know darn well he’s not? How does he know how to move his little toddler hands in that perfect way holding up two stubby little fingers making those “two minutes” look so small? How does he know to do that look, scrunching up his eyebrows together making 3 distinct wrinkles across his padded baby-faced forehead? And those eyes, how does he know how to put so much emotion into those two brown, exact eyes, piercing through me with so much intensity? I almost feel like a little girl again, sitting in front of my parents knowing I did something wrong and just waiting for my punishment.

How does he do it? I don’t know, but one thing is for sure, he knows what he is doing and at 4 years old, he is a pro! 2 minutes of XBOX “su-sisty” with my precious boy. How can I resist such an offer? It is my privilege, my blessing to spend 2 minutes, 2 years, an eternity if I am so lucky, with such a special spirit.

As we sit down to play, he reminds me of our mission together, to “beat down” the little alien guys who have a far more cool name than a mom can remember, and to save “Antona”, which all boils down to and simply translates into “saving the world”. How lucky am I? What perfect little moments I get to share with one of my most favorite little people. Him and I in “2 small minutes” saving the world together, side by side. Listening to the excitement in his giggles and the resolution in his orders to me, I decide then and there, there is nowhere else on earth I would rather be.

Thank you, Randon, for this moment and for so many others like it. I love you!


No comments: